- We pledge that TASA will maintain transparency in how we use your personal information. In accordance with TASA’s Advertising policy, TASA may forward paid advertisements via its email list as long as it deems the material to be of professional interest to TASA members. TASA will not distribute your e-mail or mailing address or personal details to third parties outside of those listed below, and does not participate in spamming.
- We pledge that we will provide mechanisms for you to communicate your privacy concerns to us and that we will respond to them thoroughly and thoughtfully.
- We pledge that TASA will provide the means for you to manage and control the information that you have provided to us. In particular, you can manage your personal details, directory entry and subscription to mailing lists via the online membership directory or via the TASA Office.
How your Personal Information is used by TASA
TASA only collects personal information about you that is relevant to the membership benefits we provide. We do not collect sensitive information. If we receive unsolicited personal information from you, we will, as soon as practicable but only if it is lawful and reasonable to do so, destroy the information or ensure that the information is de-identified.
- Your name and contact information is included in the Member Directory if you indicate your consent. You may choose to use a pseudonym if you do not want to identify yourself to the Association.
- If you join any Thematic Groups, your name is listed on the Thematic Group page as a current member. The TASA Executive Officer will also provide your email address to the Thematic Group Convenor(s) so they can contact you directly about Thematic Group matters.
- If you become a Thematic Group Convenor, your email address appears on the relevant Thematic Group TASAweb page, and is provided to the Executive Thematic Groups Coordinator, as well as to the annual Conference convenors.
- The TASA Executive Officer accesses your email address for the members’ newsletter and for the electronic version of Nexus.
- If you elect to be in the Directory of Research Expertise, your name and email address will appear in the public section of TASAweb. Your email address will be hidden behind a button.
- If you join a working group or subcommittee, for example a Prize Panel, your contact information will be shared with the working group or subcommittee Chairperson.
- If you apply for Prizes or Awards, the information you provide on the application will be shared with the Prize panel and/or the TASA Executive Committee. This information will be stored by the TASA Office electronically for three years. If you are the recipient of Prizes or Awards, your name will be listed on the TASA Webpage for that Prize or Award, in the members’ newsletter and in Nexus.
TASA collects your personal information when you provide it. The only exception is if you are nominated for a TASA Prize or Award by another TASA member. To access the information that TASA holds on you, please contact the TASA Office. To correct any information, please use the Account information.
Protection of your Personal Information
Our website uses SSL to ensure that the information you submit on our website is safe and secure. Data stored in the TASA Office is password protected.
Storing and destroying your Personal Information
The ‘live’ membership directory, accessible only by members, lists current members only. Lapsed members will automatically disappear from the membership directory as well as the Directory of Research Expertise and the thematic group web pages.
On July 1 each year, or as close to July 1 as possible, the TASA Office will create a membership directory archive, available in the members section only, of the preceding year (July 1 – June 30) that lists the members’ names and affiliations only (rather than the current amount of information exemplified in the directory link above or do you think this change needs Executive approval?).
Personal information of non-TASA members will be securely stored by the TASA Office and used to contact lapsed members about renewal for a period of no more than 2 years after membership cessation. On July 1 each year, or as close to July 1 as possible, the TASA Office will separate identifying information such as names, email addresses & phone numbers from the rest of the membership information (country, state, gender, affiliation etc) for memberships that have lapsed for 2 years. During this process, the identifying information will be destroyed. The non-identifying information (country, state, gender, affiliation etc) will be kept by the TASA Office as historical membership information.
In no event shall TASA or any of its affiliates or content providers be liable for any damages whatsoever, including but not limited to any direct, indirect, special, consequential, punitive or incidental damages, or damages for loss of use, profits, data or other intangibles arising out of or related to the use, inability to use, unauthorised use, performance or non-performance of this Web site, even if TASA has been advised previously of the possibility of such damages and whether such damages arise in the contract, negligence, tort under statue, in equity, at law or otherwise.
All material in the Web site is true and correct at time of upload to the Internet, but is subject to change without warning. TASA will endeavour to inform users of any changes to products/services and keep this Web site up to date.
The Australian Sociological Association (TASA)
Institute for Social Research
Swinburne University of Technology
PO Box 218, Mailbag H98
Hawthorn VIC 3122
Ph: +61 3 9214 5283