TASA memberships are available here.
TASA is a vibrant and dynamic association and membership provides many practical benefits, including the Journal of Sociology, online access to Sage sociology journals, Health Sociology Review and other Taylor & Francis journals, Conference discounts, eligibility for prestigious awards, and access to self-promote in the Members’ Newsletter, TASA Blog & Nexus as well as access to the members-only section of TASAweb. TASA encourages student membership, with discounted rates, and is particularly attuned to the interests of postgraduate members by advertising scholarship and early career positions. TASA membership provides an avenue to network with sociologists and keep in touch with sociological developments in Australia and across the globe.
TASA membership is open to anyone, globally, with an interest in sociology. There are no registration or qualification requirements, except for the completion of the membership form and the payment of the membership fee. TASA members are expected to act according to the Ethical Guidelines of the Association and abide by its Constitution and other policies, which can be accessed from the Terms and Conditions page.
TASA membership offers sociologists numerous ways to enhance their careers through professional activities, scholarly information exchange and networking opportunities. Member benefits include:
- Online access to the Sage Sociology full-text collection;
- The Journal of Sociology (JoS) – four hard-copy issues per year published by SAGE (available for the non-student income levels between $29, 000 & $113,000 plus categories);
- Online access to the Health Sociology Review and a collection of other Taylor & Francis sociology titles;
- Nexus publication opportunities
- The choice to be listed on the TASA Directory of Expertise database for use by the media, government agencies and researchers who wish to locate sociologists with particular areas of expertise;
- Thematic Group membership;
- Having your book listed on the TASA New Books web page, Tweeted about and included in the Members’ Newsletter;
- If you record your book launch and send it to us we will upload it to TASA’s Soundcloud and promote that too;
- Member conference registration discount of over $100;
- Targeted email service for making contact with sociologists and sociology students, who are TASA members, for a specific need.
- Postgraduate web site, Facebook, Annual PhD Workshop, Postgraduate Conference Scholarships, and Postgraduate representation on the TASA Executive Committee;
- Substantial membership and conference discount rates for student membership;
- Online TASA Directory listing members’ research interests and contact details. The directory is a real-time, fully searchable and updatable database that is particularly useful for locating potential supervisors and examiners as well as for networking;
- Members Newsletter: self-promotion opportunities and access to the latest information on new jobs, scholarships, publications and conferences;
- Members-only section of TASAweb: access to publications and the online TASA Directory;
- The option of being listed on TASA’s publicly searchable database for use by the media, government agencies and researchers who wish to locate sociologists with particular areas of expertise;
- Member discount rates for conference registration at the American, British, Irish and New Zealand sociological association annual conference;
- Eligibility for TASA Awards: Jean Martin Award, Raewyn Connell Prize, Distinguished Service to Australian Sociology, TASA Sociology in Action Award, TASA Award for Outstanding Contributions to Teaching in Australian Sociology, Best Paper in the Journal of Sociology, Stephen Crook Memorial Prize, Jerzy Zubrzycki Postgraduate Conference Scholarship, TASA Postgraduate Conference Scholarship, TASA Conference Scholarship for Sociologists Outside Academe, Outstanding Service to TASA Award, Conference Scholarship for TASA Members with Disabilities, and the TASA Honours Student Award;
- Free event advertising in the TASA weekly newsletter;
- Access to bonus offers exclusive to TASA members:
- 15% discount from Footprint Books & 30% discount on all SAGE journal subscriptions
- 20% discount off all books published by Taylor & Francis
Note: please mention your TASA membership number when ordering direct from the publishers
TASA membership is tax deductible and GST inclusive
Membership fees are determined by a graded scale according to income. Memberships are for one year from the date of payment. Two, three, four and five year memberships are available. Renewing members are urged to pay their fees by the due date to ensure timely delivery of their journals and to receive the latest sociological news and information from the newsletter. Secure Online Membership Application Form
In line with the International Sociological Association’s (ISA) membership fee structure, from 2015, TASA membership fees are based on country of current residence. The fees are divided into 3 categories (Cat.), A, B and C, according to the Gross National Income of the economy of countries. Australia is a category A country. You can view the categories and then join here.
|Income levels & fees are in Australian Dollars|
|2 years||3 years||4 years||5 years|
High School Students*
|Cat. A $0 – $28,999*||$52.32||–||–||–||–|
|Cat. A $29,000 – $62,999||$142.63||$276.55||$410.47||$547.70||$677.49|
|Cat. A $63,000 -$112,999||$263.72||$515.14||$758.34||$1012.71||$1251.92|
|Cat. A $113,000 plus||$321.12||$628.06||$926.63||$1233.11||$1525.33|
|Cat. A Retired (life)**||$418.67||–||–||–||–|
|Cat. B Student*||$17.22||–||–||–||–|
|Cat. B Regular*||$35.45||–||–||–||–|
|Cat. C Student*||$8.61||–||–||–||–|
|Cat. C Regular*||$12.15||–||–||–||–|
*Multi-year memberships are not available for this membership category.
**This is a one-off fee for a life membership. To be eligible for the ‘retired’ category you need to have been a TASA member for at least 6 of the previous 10 years.