MISSION: To promote sociology and serve sociologists in their work.
The work of TASA is framed by the interrelated values of integrity, equity and transformation. These values define the priorities of the association and provide a framework for actions fundamental to the work of sociologists.
TASA aims to:
• Promote the discipline and its members
• Promote the contributions and use of sociology
• Seek to influence policies affecting sociology
• Provide a network for sociologists in Australia
• Further links with sociologists and associations throughout the world
TASA’s s values of integrity, equity, and transformation define the association, including the implementation of our aims, and what TASA expects of and encourages in its members.
INTEGRITY: Through academic freedom, TASA creates an environment for robust debate and a diversity of ideas that investigate complex social issues and challenges.
As an association, to ensure integrity we:
• Foster the pursuit of knowledge in accordance with both ethical and legal standards.
• Foster principled and informed debate that is founded on rigorous, scholarly research
• Ensure our behaviours are embedded in ethical practices
• Foster excellence and integrity in sociological research, teaching, mentoring, supervision and outreach activities
• Ensure transparency and accountability in the decision-making of TASA
EQUITY: TASA will maintain its commitment to promoting fairness and social justice.
As an association, to ensure equity we:
• Recognise the cultures and achievements of First Nation peoples
• Foster respect for and inclusion of human diversity in all forms
• Provide support to members to ensure inclusive and equitable access to TASA activities
• Promote activities to identify, investigate and address social justice issues in Australia and internationally
• Ensure the ‘Panel Pledge’ to advocate for gender equality on Award panels, sub-committees and at all TASA events
TRANSFORMATION: Through serving sociologists in their work, TASA is committed to serving as a platform for transformative, ethical research. To ensure transformation we:
• Ensure the stewardship of sociology, through generating new knowledge, protecting and translating its central tenets and by mentoring postgraduate students and early career researchers.
• Platform the work of sociology through its annual conference and thematic group activities.
• Publish journals and other materials
• Build meaningful connections with public, organisational and professional bodies
• Promote the contributions of sociology to society